Electrical Problems that Require an Emergency Electrician

Electric repair

Electrical problems are a common evil in most residential spaces. However, neglect shown during such problems can lead to a number of issues in the future. 

Don’t let electrical problems stress you out. If your lights start flickering or your outlets become temperamental, it’s best to call an electrician right away. This can help prevent a fire and keep you safe in your home. Here is a list of common electrical problems with tips on how to address them:

Electric Fire

While electrical fires are not as common as other types of fires, they can be very dangerous. In fact, the National Fire Protection Association estimates that electrical fires caused approximately $1 billion worth of property damage in 2017 alone.

In order to prevent an electrical fire from starting:

  • Replace any worn or damaged wires with new ones approved for use with your appliances.
  • Make sure any electrician who works on your home is licensed and insured by a state agency such as the Better Business Bureau or State Fire Marshal Office before hiring them to do any work on your house’s electrical system (including installing new light fixtures).

Electrical Shock

Electricity is a powerful force. It can be dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing, and even more so when it starts to go wrong. If you or someone else receives an electric shock from your electrical system, get medical attention immediately. The effects of an electric shock depend on how strong the current was and how long it lasted, but they may include:

  • Burns
  • Numbness or tingling in extremities (arms/legs)
  • Dizziness/loss of consciousness

In any case, the root cause of the electric shock needs to be nipped in the bud to avoid future problems. 

Burning Smells

If you smell burning wires, it is time to contact an electrician. The smell may be caused by a short circuit or loose connection. A wire could have come loose and made contact with something hot (like the stove), causing it to melt and smell like burning plastic. If this happens in your home, call 911 immediately as it’s an extremely dangerous situation that requires immediate attention!

Sagging Wires or Loose Connections

Sagging wires and loose connections are common causes of electrical fires. If you notice your wires are sagging, you should have them repaired immediately by an electrician. Sagging wires can also cause fires if they touch each other or another object that conducts electricity, so getting them fixed as soon as possible is important.

The most common causes are:

  1. Tree branches touching power lines (particularly during storms)
  2. Weather conditions such as strong winds and heavy rain

Short Circuit

A short circuit is an electrical fault that occurs when a wire is damaged and allows current to flow through it. This can cause fires and damage to electrical appliances, as well as pose a safety hazard. Short circuits can be caused by loose connections, faulty wiring or damaged appliances. If you experience any of these symptoms in your home:

  • Your lights flicker or go out completely
  • You hear buzzing noises coming from your fuse box or plugs (this could indicate that there’s somewhere in the house where electricity isn’t being properly grounded)

Call an Electrician 

There are many different types of electrical problems. If you’re not sure what the problem is, it’s best to call for help.

Get in touch with us today to find out more about our services and call us for repairs.